Thursday, September 29, 2005

Misc: Records Albums and Wristbands


It won't make it in the Friday Random Ten, well, because it's Thursday, but I have to give props to Genesis' "In the Cage" (Three Sides Live version). First, any song that lasts your whole commute is cool enough to start with, but I probably haven't heard that track in years. Awesome. It's easy to forget that before Phil Collins turned in to a giant easy-listening pussy, he was among the preeminent drummers in rock. Listening to this song was just a total timewarp experience to me. To back when I used to buy albums on vinyl and tape them because the sound quality was better...

Once, early in high school, for some "dress-up" Spirit Week thing, I went to school dressed as Phil Collins. Which, circa 1984, based on MTV concert videos, consisted of a grey T-shirt and wrist sweatbands... people were like, "Who the hell are you?"
"Phil Collins."
"Who?"

Anyway, needless to say, I love old Genesis. I know "Seconds Out" and the old Peter Gabriel "Live" are better, but "Three Sides Live" is special to me. In the car this morning, volume cranked, drumming furiously on my steering wheel (even though my hand is barely a week removed from being in a cast), I could still recognize the moment in the song where Phil leaves the front of the stage and climbs back to his bizarro lefty drum set to join Chester for a massive two-drummer jam. There's no cheer, no audible cue, just the sudden "doubling" of the drums. then Phil's signature "fills" start showing up.

Today will be a good day.

1 comment:

Mr Furious said...

Good God. I actually feel bad for being non-committal about it, but being less than a week (at the time) out of my cast, I was really tentative about playing three successive games. I wanted to wait til the last minute to make up my mind and then a whole bunch of bullshit came up, and I would have missed it regardless.

You play the Jeremy Rose Tournement with the softball squad you have, not the one you wish you had.