Friday, September 22, 2006

The Vote I Don't Want to Cast

My Democratic Senator is running for reelection this November. that's a no-brainer, right? Not so much. Debbie Stabenow does not deserve my vote, and I am not happy about casting it. Here's another reason why—an email I received today:
Thank you . . .

. . . for contacting me about legislation to prohibit the physical desecration of the American flag. I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your views with me. I understand the strong feelings that exist on both sides of this issue.

On June 22, 2005, the House of Representatives passed by a vote of 286-130 a constitutional amendment (H.J.Res.10) that would grant Congress the power to prohibit the physical desecration of the American flag. On April 14, 2005, Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) introduced the Senate version of this measure (S.J.Res.12), but it failed to pass the Senate by a vote of 66-34.

While I understand and respect your concerns, I believe the American flag is a national treasure and represents the values, traditions, and history of our diverse country, and we should protect it from physical desecration.

Thank you again for taking time to share your concerns with me. As always, please don't hesitate to contact me in the future on issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator


The only "hesitation" will be when I'm in the voting booth in November, Senator.

Last night while watching television, I gave Stabenow the finger during one of her ads. My wife wasked, "What's that for?" "She's sold out on several important votes," I explained. Most notably the horrendous Bankruptcy Bill. I'll be holding my nose when I pull that lever. This position on this completely bogus issue doesn't help. Thanks for throwing another log on the fire, Debbie. You suck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our representative democracy is often messy and less than satisfying. I'm willing to bet if you could spend even a few minutes talking with Stabenow, she'd agree. Except for a few brief weeks, she's spent the last six years between a rock and a hard place, along with the rest of Senate Democrats. She could tell you plenty about frustration, I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong. You've got every right to be dissatisfied and to let her know about how and why you feel that way. Good for you for going to the trouble.

Corny as it sounds, the big picture is worth keeping an eye on, though. I've seen Stabenow speak on C-SPAN and lead the charge for some very worthwhile things.

Mr Furious said...

Put it this way...I'm voting for Stabenow, but there'll be no further support—no stickers on the car or signs on the lawn.

Mr Furious said...

See my post tonite for the definitive answer on that one.

You should peel that sticker off your car...

Mr Furious said...

My bad. you're right. I've just been seeing a lot of Stab(intheback)enow stickers around town and I mentally pictured one on your car...

I should have known better.