Thursday, October 12, 2006

FRT: Read it and Weep...

1. "Crooked Teeth" - Death Cab Pretty good tune. I'm happy to see a solid band like this make headway into the crapstorm that is popular music. 7

2. "Street Fighting Man" - Stones Since this is a "Hot Rocks" and radio staple it's easy to dismiss this song as overplayed. It's been a while since I've heard it, and, damn, this is good shit. Songs like this are the reason why I always rank the Stones ahead of the Beatles. 10

3. "I Walk the Line" - John Cash The Man in Black. 'nuff said. 8

4. "Dollar Bill" - Screaming Trees The Guinness Book Twins back for an encore. 7

5. "Ball and Biscuit" - White Stripes Is it blues? Rock? Whatever. It kicks total and complete ass. Jack and Meg at the top pf their game. 10

6. "Perfect Strangers'" - Deep Purple For the crunchy blues riffs of "B&B" to transition straight into Jon Lord's majestic keys? "Oh, yeah..." 9

7. "Oh!" - Sleater Kinney Always a big fan of good chick-rock. File under Magnapop. Another one from the well-stocked AA library. 7

8. "4 Degrees" - Tool Starts out eerily like a Stone Temple Pilots tune, then shifts into typical Tool. Which is a good thing. 8

9. "Juicebox" - The Strokes Another fake-out. Opening bassline fools me into thinking it's Tad's "Jack Pepsi" every time.... 7

10. "Police and Thieves" - The Clash When you hear a song like this, it's easy to forget this was considered a punk band. Sort of. Well, they had mohawks. At least Joe Strummer did... 9

8.2 average. Kneel before Zod.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotcha over at LLPN, but I'll repeat here: Ball & Biscuit alone has to raise the average a couple points alone.

No song I've ever heard reminds me more of Jimi at his live/blues jamming best: Red House, Machine Gun. That sort of thing.

Mr Furious said...

You check out that Racs video yet?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but as I mentioed at LLPN, I can only hear it. NO video.

Sounds great. I'm sure the problem is mine.