Sunday, February 03, 2008

Wow.

Watch this.

How fucking cool is that? That is hands-down the coolest campaign ad/video ever conceived and executed. It might be the glossiest, glitziest, least-policy-related thing ever, but it is amazing.

After watching that, and learning that Obama's rally in Boise today of 15,000 people—seven times the total number of Idahoans who caucused in 2004—can you honestly tell me that something isn't happening here? Forget Bill Clinton versus Bob Dole—Barack Obama stands to make John McCain look as lively and viable as Bob Dole's right hand.

UPDATE: So that video is 4 minutes and 30 seconds long...and Obama raised $32 million in January, from 250,000 new donors (me among them), is that enough cash for a halftime ad tomorrow night?

Just wondering.

UPDATE 2: I found a YouTube version that The original site has a better version I can embed, the quality is equal to the link above, but the screen is smaller but I suggest clicking above and watching/listening to the higher quality version instead if you can. Yes you can.



UPDATE 3: I just can't let it go. That thing needs to be shown during the Superbowl. It is a game-changing, back-breaking play. There is no bigger audience, there is no bigger moment. Talk about "the fierce urgency of now." Super-Tuesday is in 36 hours, and the environment surrounding the SuperBowl is like none other. hundreds of millions of people are watching. People who don't give a shit about the game watch for the ads. The ads! All everybody talks about the next day are the ads.

Picture the Superbowl party when this video comes on. Everyone stops to see what this ad is. You can't blow that video off. If you aren't moved, or at least tweaked by that, you're hopeless (literally). There is no downside here. Anbody who reacts negatively isn't voting for him anyhow, and the sheer number of people, like Midge in the comments, who will be left thinking, "Wow. I gotta find out more about this Obama guy" is what pushes him over the top to the nomination.

The best part? It's not even an Obama ad. His name is never mentioned or shown. He doesn't need to spoil the mood by "approving this message." Hell, John Legend alone could bankroll placing this thing, so the campaign doesn't need to break the bank running it. What the hell is dipdive.com anyway? Is this their ad, and Obama is merely a (willing) prop?

Just you imagine if THAT VIDEO was what everyone was talking about for the 36 hours and what happens going into the day when half the states have primaries?

This could be the either the greatest moment in advertising ever if it works, or it could be the greatest ever opportunity missed if they don't try it. I can only hope that the fact this came out yesterday is somehow indicative of this being a Superowl ad that leaked out.

UPDATE 4: Apparently FOX was not allowing any political ads during the national broadcast of the game, but Obama placed local ads in key markets. Ads that drew good marks from the pundits, etc. but just felt flat to me compared to this...

13 comments:

Toast said...

Whoa. As Angelos would say, the room got a little dusty there.

Toast said...

Not going to be easy for him.

Anonymous said...

Look at me - switching blogs!

Mr. F - that video was amazing. I actually got a bit weepy-eyed. Although I cried a little at a Borders commercial the other day too.

Seriously though, I would pay attention to political advertising if it was more like this.

I have to say, I haven't paid much attention to the campaigning (lost some faith in politics in the last 7 years b/c of both sides of the aisle), but seeing this video has made me want to learn more about Obama.

If I do, he better do some serious clean-up of some serious s*** if he's elected.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Noah said...

I'm such a sucker for awesome marketing. Obama has found a couple of slogans that work for American sentiment right now, and he delivers them perfectly:

Yes we can.

We are change.

Hope.

Not much policy there, but he is making us believe that good policy will come by way of our strong belief that we want things to change. Not exactly to most convincing policy platform...but as I said, I'm a sucker for great marketing.

Mrs Furious said...

Midge,

I have this neighbor that...

Mrs Furious said...

Of course that made me cry. But much like Midge said that in and of itself doesn't say much.

I still want Edwards.


But yes that would be totally badass as a Super Bowl ad.

michelline said...

Damn, I feel kind of bad that the video didn't do much for me. It was nice, but didn't tug at my emotions or anything.

I am supporting Obama, so I hope that it helps pull in others, as you mentioned, Mr F. I'd like to see the debate - McCain vs Obama. Would that not be a Kennedy-Nixon like moment?

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for a couple of riffs from "Soul Train" toward the finale.

More seriously, for what this ad is, what a shame Ray Charles couldn't be part of it. I'm sure he would've wanted to be part of it.

I like the ad as a clever, engaging and entertaining media production. It may serve to increase Obama's already huge charisma quotient.

What I don't like about it is how it seeks to advance a Harvard-educated attorney and highly successful politician who's serious about serious matters into a hip rock-star-type phenom.

In it, we hear nothing — not one thing — of substance from Obama himself, and too much from entertainers, albeit very good ones.

I think it would be better if it was 30 percent shorter and included at the end some especially meaningful statement by Obama himself.

Anonymous said...

Correction: Not Soul Train but " Love Train ".

Hey, it's been a while.

angie said...

As the queen of weep, it made me weep. Yes, it's not a policy commercial. But it need not be. There are those as well. This really could inspire. Thanks for sending me the link.

And as someone who watched the game, too bad it didn't make the commercials.

angie said...

So I missed a few minutes of the game....but this ad aired: http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/02/obamas_super_bowl_ad_we_can_ch.php

John Howard said...

Damn, I feel kind of bad that the video didn't do much for me. It was nice, but didn't tug at my emotions or anything.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I thought too. Maybe the buildup was just too much, or maybe we just have a defective gene or something.

Anonymous said...

Damn, I feel kind of bad that the video didn't do much for me. It was nice, but didn't tug at my emotions or anything.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I thought too. Maybe the buildup was just too much, or maybe we just have a defective gene or something.


I'm with the other two Howards on this one. It was nice, but it didn't do a thing for me. There's no substance in this. It's a catchy, feel good message. Nice fluff. I can see his appeal, but I'm not on the Obama bandwagon.