Friday, June 19, 2009

WTF?

What the fuck is wrong with Firefox these days? Anybody else having issues? It is crashing all the freaking time on me, and the Firefox on my G5 at home has completely shit the bed. It won't even launch without immediately crashing—and that sucks, because it's got my most extensive bookmarks lists, and I don't know how to salvage that.

UPDATE: Our power outage forced a restart of the computer, Firefox launched and just updated itself from 3.0.1 to 3.5, so, we'll see what happens... What I really want is a way to revert either my Firefox or Safari back a couple generations so I can use the online proofing system from my magazine's printer—the newer versions of both these browsers are incompatible (java errors). In the meantime, I'm going to save/export my bookmarks and look into alternatives...

UPDATE 2: Ahhh. I see Firefox has been updating itself to beta versions for two months...An explanation for the unstableness? Sons of....

9 comments:

Chris Howard said...

I've had no problem with Firefox. Must be that Mac you're using :)

As for your bookmarks, they're stored in an html file, I believe. Just google "firefox bookmark location" (in safari) and you should find it.

Unknown said...

Firefox doesn't play so well with Acrobat Reader on Mac in my experience. However, everything else seems to be fine for me.

John Howard said...

I haven't had any issues with Firefox, but since I changed computers several times over the last year or so, I have realized that it's a good idea to use Google bookmarks on my Google toolbar instead of storing them in the browser.

Noah said...

I made the switch to Google Chrome. I am a big big fan. A few benefits:

--when using "tabbed browsing," if 1 tab crashes, only that tab crashes.
--when flashplayer crashes, it doesn't crash the whole window. Chrome just says "Flash is broke."
--bookmarks are so easy
--Chrome gives you more viewable space, left and right, top and bottom.

and so much more...

steves said...

Get Opera.

Missives From Suburbia said...

No, but describing it as "shit the bed" definitely made me laugh out loud.

Export your bookmarks so you don't lose them.

Deb said...

Where are the bear photos?

Mr Furious said...

They're coming...

Deb said...

Shortly after reading this (about 48 hours later), Firefox started losing its mind on my Mac. It seems to be better with the upgrade. Keeping my fingers crossed.