Friday, July 10, 2009

Cover Me


So, here's a different spin on Random Friday Tens or Desert Island Lists...Occasionally I'll come across a song that for one reason or another is so thoroughly enjoyable that I'll think to myself, "If I was in a band, we'd play that."

So here's the question: If you were in a bar band / cover band, and you and your bandmates had the chops to play whatever you wanted—whether a straight cover, or adapted somewhat to your style—what songs would you have scrawled on a napkin and taped to the lead singers mic stand?

The song that just prompted this for me? Cracker's "Eurotrash Girl"

Along with that, we'd play "Born On the Bayou" and "Radar Love."

More as they come to me...

7 comments:

Mike said...

I've also played this game many times.

MANY times.

And yet, at this moment I can't think of one song, except a classic like "Johnny B. Goode," that we'd cover!

steves said...

Never heard of this game.

We'd play the following:

Someday, Someway -- Marshall Crenshaw
Country Roads -- John Denver
The Number of the Beast -- Iron Maiden

Let me think of a few more.

Unknown said...

This list all assumes I'm playing bass for the band.

"Set It Off" by Audioslave
"Interstellar Overdrive" by Pink Floyd
"What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye
"Goodbye to Romance" by Ozzy Osborne
"Going to a Go Go" by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
"Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns and Roses (oh, that intro bass solo!)
"Sunspots" by Julian Cope

If I can think of more I'll add them.

Noah said...

Awesome game!

Voodoo Chile - Jimi Hendrix.
Crossroads - Cream
More Than A Feelin' - Boston

Mr Furious said...

Listening to the Stone Roses' "Daybreak." That song might be added to the list...

"Second coming" is a vastly overlooked/underrated album.

Unknown said...

How could I forget the song that made me pick up the bass:

"Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream

Unknown said...

Ever sing karaoke? In the US it is most common do sing in a public setting, such as a bar or whatnot. In Japan we sing karaoke in private rooms with just a couple of close (very drunk) friends. Its much more fun that way because there is nobody even thinking of judging you and its just a hammered good time. Also, the karaoke boxes in Japan tend to have 10s of thousands of songs - so you can find really esoteric stuff that you never find in the songlists in the US.